Joe (Joel Courtney) is dealing with the death of his mother as best he can. This mainly means helping his friend Charles (Riley Griffiths) make a zombie movie using their super 8 camera. They get the cutest girl in school, Alice (Elle Fanning) to be in the movie, and start filming. While they are shooting at the local rail yard, the kids and the camera capture a spectacular train wreck, as well as something very large escaping from the derailed cargo.
Suddenly the army moves into the small town, locking it down. They are searching for something, and of course the youngsters find themselves drawn into a very dangerous threat. What secrets are hidden on their Super 8 film?
- All the young actors really nail their roles
- Shoots for a truly retro-80’s family adventure feel
- Balances adventure, mystery and some laughs really well
- Might be too dark for some viewers to be a “family” film
- Takes its time in places and that will bore some folks
- Some may find the nostalgia laid on a bit too thick