Three Things I Liked:
- Some gorgeous animation and impressive set pieces
- Maximus the horse was a real fun character
- Mother Gothel was an interesting passive/aggressive take on a villain
Three Things I Didn't Like:
- The songs and music wasn't memorable
- The songs felt like they stopped the story cold
- Just what kind of movie were they going for?
I have to say that Tangled offers a lot to like. It moves quickly, keeps things light and fun with some very engaging characters. The high points are the impressive animation that creates a wonderfully vivid fairytale world. The action scenes are especially well executed and exciting. But the music for this musical just doesn't have the sticking power. Worse the songs feel like the interrupt the action more than build up within it. In a few ways this movie reminded me of Treasure Planet where it didn't quite know what direction to go, so it goes in all of them. The end result is a muddled movie that lacks memorability. I'm hoping another viewing will allow me to enjoy it a bit more.
Help support this blog and click an ad before you go.