So this little post is basically my first impression of the film. I intend on seeing it again, probably at home. I've purchased all the previous films, why stop now. Once I've given the movie a second spin, I'll provide a full review. But for now...
Three Things I liked
- Gorgeous looking cinematography
- All of the new main characters were well realized and fun
- Some of the dialogue was very funny and had me laughing out loud
- The plot structure was overly familiar
- Went into fan service overdose a few times
- Lacks an immediately memorable musical theme as the identity of this episode
I had a really good time with The Force Awakens. It was a fun movie that felt like an extension of the original trilogy. It was good to see the original cast come back and be worked into key elements of the story and the new character's journey. I also really liked the new characters. I want to see what happens to them in the next installments. This is a well made and constructed film that delivers solid entertainment. The overly familiar plot and moments of "hey look old time fans isn't this just like the original trilogy" do end up keeping this from feeling like a fresh film. But this is a great start to a new trilogy of adventure in this universe. And for the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie again and seeing the next episode.
What did you think of the movie?