Friday, September 13, 2013

Anime Juke Box - Mediational Field - Paprika

Electronic music in anime is nothing new. Often the budget of a television series forces the creators to use electronic alternatives to actual orchestral scores. But every once in a while you get a score by someone who knows how to manipulate electronic music and make it work in it's own unique way. Susumu Hirasawa is one of those composers, and he may have found the perfect partner in director Satoshi Kon. Hirasawa combines techno beats, human voices (including his own) and various electronic manipulation to create his tracks. His work on Paprika is some of his best. Here is the track Mediational Field which ends up being the opening titles and the theme for our heroine, Paprika. He does some interesting things with this tune throughout the score, including adding full lyrics for the end credits. This is the tune at it's most playful and it works wonderfully with the opening credit animation.


7 comments:

  1. I really ought to watch this as I like the kaleidoscopic art, good soundtrack too. It's in my NF queue, so may have to bump it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The visuals are a real treat in that film, even if the story doesn't grab you, there's so much going on you can't stop watching.

      I'm posting a full review next week. But I wanted to post a little taste of the film first. Actually this clip is composed of stills from the whole film. Kind of a neat idea.

      Delete
  2. Great minds think alike. Clearly kon enjoyed working with this composer.

    I actually bout the import cd to millennium Actress because I loved the music for that film so much also by hirasawa.

    Anyway greet stuff. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kicking myself for not picking that one up at a very good price around the time the movie came out on DVD in Region 1. I figured I'd pick it up later. When I finally got around to it, it was nearly impossible to find at a good price. Import is the only way to go now. :(

      Delete
  3. It makes one wonder what he could do with a theremin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's actually done a lot of non-soundtrack related music. I wouldn't be surprised if he did work a theremin in one of those albums.

      Delete
  4. If you need a copy to listen to let me know.
    sff

    ReplyDelete